Carolyn Holbrook, in her role as co-ordinator of the Australian Policy and History network, hosted the ‘History on the Hill’ Workshop at the Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House in Canberra on 5 September 2018.
Participants gathered to consider the role that historical expertise plays in the policy-making process and the ways that politicians use history to further their policy and political ends.
Participants at the workshop included:
- Press gallery journalist, Michelle Grattan
- Secretary of the Department of Home Affairs, Michael Pezzullo
- Author and speechwriter, Dennis Glover
- Historians Frank Bongiorno, Nick Brown and Tim Rowse
- Political scientist James Walter
- Labor Member for Canberra, Hon Gai Brodtmann MP
- Former Deputy Secretary at PM&C, Meredith Edwards
The program is available here. Proceedings and other outcomes from the workshop, including interviews with participants, will be published on the Australian Policy and History website over coming weeks. If you would like more information about this and upcoming events, or want to contribute to Australian Policy and History, Carolyn would love to hear from you on firstname.lastname@example.org.